Most of the time when you are cooking with marijuana you will need to decarboxylate it. This is important to help activate the THC. As always please only use legal botanicals for your state / region.
Please note the below notations taken from the folks at Magical Butter. It is important you read them.
Note 1: Decarboxylation is only for specific, rare herbs and exotic flowers. Do NOT attempt with common culinary herbs or fruits, as it will remove their moisture and flavor.
Note 2: Your oven may not be an exact precision appliance; this is normal. All ovens are not created equal. Most operate on an approximation, average, or temperature range for any given value. So, calibrating your oven is essential to smart decarbing and baking. Once it’s done, you can proceed to Phase 2.
- The botanicals* you are going to use.
A breakdown of the items with information / examples are below.
Listed below is also a list of non consumable items needed.
Kitchen Supplies / Reusables
You will need an oven to complete this process. The key is to ensure its an oven that can reach and keep the needed temperature. Most ovens these days have a preheat function and adequate temperature control. However, if you are using in older over or are concerned your ovens temperature may be off then get a oven thermometer.
These instructions are by the good people over at MagicalButter.com.
Phase 1: Calibrate your oven
- Place an oven thermometer inside your oven, and close the door.
- Preheat the oven to a desired decarb temperature. In the Decarboxylation Guide below, the great majority of consumers will want to use the first (lowest) temperature listed.
- Once the oven signals that it has finished preheating, take a temperature reading. This will tell you if the oven actually reached the desired temperature you had set.
- If the actual temperature reading on the thermometer differs from your oven setting, then raise or lower the setting by that amount to compensate when decarbing. For example, if your setting is 250°F but the thermometer reads 270°F, then your oven runs hot. You would then compensate by lowering your setting 20 degrees, to 230°F.
Phase 2: Decarb your herb
How easy is decarb to do? In a word, very. Yet, there is a web load of info out there ranging from guesstimates, theories, and opinions to bold proclamations of the one and only true way to decarboxylate. So, we’ve sifted through the data and distilled the following general guidelines:
- Preheat your oven according to the Decarboxylation Guide below:
- Place your botanicals inside an oven roasting bag or covered baking dish.
- Bake on the center oven rack according to time frame below:
Target Minutes T-C 30-45 C-D 60-90 C-N 90-120
- Remove the botanicals from the oven when time is up, and let it cool completely; to speed up the process, place it in the freezer. This step helps the herb to preserve certain beneficial phytonutrients.
- Once your botanicals are completely cooled, you’re ready to run any cycle in your Botanical Extractor (Magical Butter Machine).
When using botanicals such as marijuana please consume responsibly. Keep out of children’s reach at all times.